Internal bypass shocks are the top-of-the-line, as their high performance and compact design make them perfect for UTV applications. Also able to be precisely tuned through custom valving, it’s no surprise you see them on most race-winning setups. You don’t need to be a podium finishing driver, though –– or even race at all –– to take advantage of the benefits to overall ride quality an internal bypass shock with Shock Therapy’s Ride improvement System has to offer you.
When you decide to upgrade your shocks, typically there are two things you can do:
- Upgrade springs to a Dual-Rate Spring Kit which will dramatically improve its suspension over that which comes factory –– making it not only plush throughout, but adaptable enough to handle a wide range of high compression scenarios as well.
- Internal modifications, often called valving. This is where the magic of the Ride Improvement system happens.
What We Do:
There are multiple ways that you can tune the valving of an internal bypass shock, including making alterations to the:
- Number, size and location of bypass ports
- Side stacks; usually stacked in triplicate, these shim stacks of varying resistance sit on the side of and cover up the bypass ports
- Number, size and location of piston bleed holes
- Piston valving or shim stacks; which primarily engage during the “bump stage,” once the piston has traveled beyond the bypass ports and thus left the oil with nowhere else to go
The valving of Shock Therapy’s Ride Improvement System (RIS) comes custom tailored to the vehicle setup, terrain, and driving style of each customer. Primarily, it comes down to precisely modifying the flow of oil through the shock internals to achieve the optimal performance.
The modifications we perform inside the shock help promote plushness through small chop and chatter, increase bottom out resistance at full compression, and remove stiff ride quality at moderate to low speeds. With thousands of hours of research, testing, and experience –– as well as using only the best practices and highest grade materials –– you can be confident in the valving work you have done at our shop.
Who We Do It For:
Shock Therapy internal valving is not only for racing applications, but is for recreational riders looking to get the most out of their suspension. Currently, the UTVs that come with internal bypass shocks from the factory include the Can-Am Maverick X3, as well as various models of Polaris RZR including the XP Turbo, Pro XP, Pro R and Turbo R.